An IFDM Independent study course (IFDM 497) allows an IFDM student to study individually and independently, under the direction of an IFDM instructor. The study area or project must be approved by the instructor and the IFDM Director and must relate to film and digital media.
• IFDM students must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher in overall coursework at UNM and successfully completed IFDM 105 and CS 152L or CS 131L & CS 132L or CS 101L in order to apply for an IFDM Independent Study course.
• An Independent Study must be approved prior to the beginning the semester. No retroactive credit will be given.
• An Independent Study course can be taken during the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters.
• An Independent Study course can be taken for up to for 1-3 credits hours in a semester with a total of no more than 12 maximum credit hours earned.
Process for securing an Independent Study Course
1. Select an IFDM Instructor to supervise your independent study (IFDM Faculty Area of Specialization). If your desired IFDM faculty is not listed on the sheet, please see the IFDM Advisor.
2. Meet with your prospective supervising IFDM instructor to discuss your independent study project and get approval.
3. Write a detailed project description for your study(see the IFDM Independent Study Application Form). The project description must be typed and be a minimum of ½ page and no more than 3 pages in length. The questions listed below should be answered in your project description.
a. What would you like to accomplish with this project? Describe the end product, (what will be the result?)
b. How do you plan to accomplish this project? Be specific and outline each step.
c. What resources will you need to accomplish the project? (i.e., library, internet, equipment, etc.)
d. List number of credits you propose to earn for this project.
4. Complete an IFDM Independent Study Application Form. Attach your project description to the application.
Have the IFDM instructor sign your IFDM Independent Study Application
5. Meet with your College/School Advisor to discuss your independent study project and have them sign your application.
6. Submit your application to the IFDM advisor. The IFDM advisor will submit your application to the IFDM Director for final approval. You will be notified of the director’s decision thru your UNM email within one week of your submission.
7. If the independent study is approved, register for your supervising instructor’s IFDM 497 section by the Friday of the 2nd week of classes for the Fall & Spring semester or by the designated time as established by the IFDM advisor. For the summer, check the schedule for registration deadlines.
IFDM Independent Study – Downloadable Forms below
– IFDM 497 Independent Study Form- instructions
– IFDM Independent Study Application Form
– IFDM Faculty Area of Specialization – for IFDM 497
– IFDM Partner College/School Advisor Listing